(B5) MAP EXPERIMENTS

 LOCATION MARKERS 



I had seen the typical cross marker on google maps beside each of these buildings (places of worship). I wanted to create a new symbol that can be used specifically for Gothic architecture so, it can be differentiated on a map. I took the cross symbol and began adding details such as; pointed tips (like the arches) and added linework and decoration (like the arches and ornate decor). I then drew a kite around my favourite design to look more like an actual icon. I am not sure whether I prefer the kite with the black fil or white yet, I think the black will fit better with the illustrations because it is intricate white linework rather than stark block fill. 

ROUTE 







  • I drew over the road map from my research with a multi-line brush to match the appearance of the curvilinear lines around the archways 
  • I plotted the markers against the line where the buildings are but, the markers were too big and looked out of place. So, I made them smaller which also meant I could plot them more accurately and not overlap the roads 
  • I tried to consider what size sheet I would design a map onto for one of my ideas. I chose A2 because I did not want to miss any of the information and that is a similar size to a typical roadmap
  • However, I am wondering now if that is a justifiable reason. I might reduce the size to A3 considering I was the map to be something a person carries with them whilst walking through Leeds
  • I also realised that I will also need to design a symbol specifically for Great Hall of Leeds because it is not a place of worship so, it will not have the cross symbol 
  • I thought about how I will include a piece of factual information for each building and tried splitting the page in half. One side for the visual map and the other side textual information in a two column, four row grid. 
  • I think I will have to make my factfiles a little more concise and compressed so it can all fit and not look crammed in or the type too small to read

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

(B5) KEY FEATURES OF GOTHIC ARCHITECTURE