(B1) ZINE PAGE EXPERIMENTS




After the critique with Raisa, I made a start on ideas for my symptom pages. I thought my style at the beginning with the cartoon style woman was effective so, I tried to do the same with this drawing. I do think this works for the "Impulsive and Risky behaviour" symptom, for a lot of people a reminder of these impulses are triggering so, I tried to keep to one of those behaviours because too many on one page might cause harm to the person who reads the zine. 

The type is too big and is a lot less considered than the image so, I want to experiment more with the type like Raisa has. 

I noticed Raisa had tried using more symbolistic representations for each of the symptoms and had a creative use of typography.  So, I wanted to try and go a similar route, we had said having our two different styles would work better with the "splitting" aspect of BPD however, I think the design before is complete worlds away and would be better if the design for the whole zine had some form of unity. 

I used the paint tool to draw out the original shapes on Procreate and then added the spikes using another brush. The spikes were to represent the randomness of the impulses people with BPD experience and the dangers most of the actions cause. 

I also tried to do this with the typography however, I did not like it, it just did not look professional and is still lacking in considerations. 


I tried a new approach to the designs by drawing shapes on Photoshop and trying different ways to manipulate them based on the symptom they are symbolising. When I think of 'impulsive', I imagine erratic shapes that lack in consistency. I am much happier with this sort of direction than before, the inspiration came from Raisa's initial ideas and the mental health posters I looked at in our research, the thing I am stuck on now is the sort of type that will fit with it. I tried to be more experimental, especially with the key words that describe each symptom. The outcome worked but, I do not want the design to have too much going on, these are zine posters, not poster so the type needs to show that also. 


Like I said before, I do not want the type to take the attention away from the image, they need to work in unison. I thought about the typesetting and how it can complement the image, the smaller font size looks more professional and reminds the reader it is a zine and not a poster book. I am wondering if it would be worth adding more text to the page, like adding peoples experiences with that particular symptom. 



I carried on playing around with the shape manipulations to try and figure out what shapes would work for each symptom. I feel like the black and white make each page have some form of unity and I am hoping that this will be the case once mine and Raisa's work is put together. The typography still needs some work and I will try to use the same layout as the one I used before that I liked. The designs with the higher contrast are a bit abrasive on the eyes, I find the images with the shades of grey are easier to look at. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

(B5) KEY FEATURES OF GOTHIC ARCHITECTURE